Monday, December 8, 2008

CMC Wrap Up

This semester in Electronic Communications, I learned a lot about my habits and behaviors regarding Computer Mediated Communication. I am much more aware of the reasons why I do many of the things that I do. For instance, we talked a lot about how we use calling and texting on our cellphones as security devices. When I am waiting alone somewhere or awkwardly standing by myself, I used to constantly text or check something on my phone as a way to look busy and stay comfortable in that situation. I am now aware of this behavior and try to find other ways to become comfortable when alone. Also, I have become much more aware of the way I use CMC habitually. I sit down on my computer and instantly check my Facebook account and my e-mail before doing what I sat down to do. This is a major time waster and distracter and I have honestly tried to do the opposite. I will now do my work and when I am finished, I will then proceed to check my e-mail and Facebook.

I do not think that I have any unhealthy addictions to Computer Mediated Communication but I know that I can use CMC in more productive and better ways than I do now. For instance, texting, e-mail, and Facebook are all excellent ways of keeping in touch with people from home. However, it not essential that those people hear from me frequently, but more important that when they do hear from me they are more informed about my life. In other words, I can send my parents an e-mail about what I did today as opposed to texting them back and forth for an hour and hardly getting much information out. CMC is a very powerful and useful tool and we must concentrate on using to the best of its’ ability and not allow it to have control over us.

1 comment:

Nora1027 said...

I have learned that I did have a slight addiction to Facebook during the "Technology Fast." Like I said in my blog, that was harder for me than not being able to text because I was so use to just checking my Facebook page everytime I needed to use the computer. There is no need to check my Facebook page 10 times a day because not the much is going to change!!! I really learned a lot this semester about CMC and how big of an impact it has on our lives. I'm glad that you are not addicted to CMC Kristen!!! Even though its a very useful tool its not good for us to be addicted to anything. We don't want to miss out on personal face to face communication because we're so use to just being able to send text messages. I too did the same thing you did with pulling out my phone everytime I was standing somewhere alone. It's good that you found other things to occupy your time other than having to pull out your cell phone, very impressive!