Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Picture Messages is Worth a Life

In class, we are constantly debating the pros and cons of Computer Mediated Communication and a general consensus that we have developed is that CMC can be good or bad and it all depends on the way you use it. Well, it seems as if Verizon has found a new way to use CMC for the good. Their new feature on all of their cell phones is called My Mobile Wireless and it is designed to help protect their users. I learned about this information in an article on MSNBC called "Picture messaging as personal protection tool." As far as I understand, you would snap a photo of someone you may be unsure about. You would then sent it either to My Mobile Wireless or to another cell phone and that person would then know that it would be easier for them to be caught for anything they were about to do because Verizon had their photo in their collection. The service seems a bit unreliable but I see how it could come in handy for many users. A positive about the service is that if you are ever into any kind of trouble, Verizon gives law enforcement access to your vault of picture messages and it may give clues or hints in the case. They also suggest snapping shots of license plates, faces, or places whenever you feel threatened by any means. If the person knows that you already have prerecorded evidence then they may be less likely to harm you in any way.


I do think that this service can come in handy, but I guess that I just do not see how it will really impact or prevent crime in any significant form. It certainly does not replace the Emergency 911 phone call but it may prove to be protected in the long run. It makes me consider where CMC is headed in the next few years. We will eventually text 911 instead of calling because we fear phone conversation?

4 comments:

Emily said...

I really enjoyed this insight. Im always curious as to how the world is being affected by the mean of CMC. I think that in due time, this could actually work and catch on. I mean, suppose someone is going on a blind date but is unsure about the guy, if she snaps a picture and sends it to verizon, she might find out that he was a convicted felon; Something that he might not mention. Yes, this does take away from the spontaneity of life, but doesn't it ultimately make is safer?

Candace said...

Kristen, what an interesting analysis. It's definitely interesting to see what direction cellular phones are going in. I honestly believe that dialing those 3 digits when in danger is easier than snapping a photo but I commend their efforts in trying to improve safety. The ensuring of safety should be the number one priority of CMC so this is a step in the right direction.

jenn said...

You know what I am starting to see a pattern of, of all the activities we have done in class, there are pros and cons to every one of them. Either being addicted to cell phones, the internet, or having problems with public speaking, they all have pros and cons. But I really don't think it is necessary to have that equipment on a cell phone. Yeah it would be easier, but like everything it has its pros and cons as well.
I don't like where the use and reliablity on cell phones are going. I know a few people that don't even have house phones anymore. Well what's the point. It is just easier to have a cell phone. If you get lost, what good is your house phone then. I bet pretty soon in the future, home phone will be rare.

Nora1027 said...

I think thats a very cool idea that verizon came up with but I get what you're saying about whether its really better than just dialing 911. They just keep coming out with newer and newer technologies and capabilites for cell phone usage. I think it could be helpful though like what Emily said about maybe being out on a blind date and being able to snap a picture of your date to find out if he's a criminal. But then again what do you say to your date, "Oh hey, let me snap a picture of you so that I can send it to my cell phone company to find out if you have any previous records." HaHa!!!